What do you do when you have overripe bananas? Bake banana bread of course. It is such a great smell when you bake banana bread… the mixture of banana and cinnamon is wonderful.
Normally this would not take too long, but I was baking in between us trying to fix a burst water pipe and the kids running around. So it seemed that every new ingredient I measured sat on the scale for about 10-15 minutes before being added to the bowl. Anyway in the end I managed to get all the right ingredients in and got it into the oven.
I have not ticked this recipe as nut free as I have used some ground almond, which my hubby luckily can eat with his allergy.
- 60 ml oat milk (or any non-dairy milk of your choice)
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 115 g non-dairy butter, softened
- 230 g demerara sugar
- 3 ripe medium bananas, mashed (or leave for the hand blender to mash)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 250 g gluten free flour
- 70 g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 180oC
- Grease and line a bread tin with grease proof paper (mine was 5 x 9″ tin)
- In a small bowl, mix together your non-dairy milk and vinegar, then leave on the side until needed.
- In a larger bowl, cream together the non-dairy butter and sugar with a hand blender.
- Into the same bowl add the bananas, vanilla and milk mixture, then beat together.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients – gluten free flour, ground almonds, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients into the bowl with wet ingredients and beat until all ingredients are mixed together.
- Pour the mixture into your lined bread tin and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove and leave to cool for 10 minutes in the bread tin, before taking out and leaving to completely cool on a wire rack (I’d definitely leave it to cool, as tempting as it is to eat straight away, as it can be crumbly when still warm).
This recipe is an adaption from Hell Yeah It’s Vegan website.