Its always a great feeling when you cook a meal for someone and they love it, this meal is no exception. I initially made this for hubby and I, then tried again on a larger scale making it for a group of ten people, then again over the holidays for 6 people. Each time this dish tasted amazing and was so easy to make… I even made this again last night to take the photos 🙂
The recipe originated from a company that delivers fresh ingredients to your door with planned recipes. They generally do not cater for customers that are both vegan and gluten free, but this recipe, although advertised for vegetarians is perfect for a vegan/ gluten free customer like myself. After making it so many times I had to share it. The recipe takes into account all ingredients being delivered prepackaged and chopped, so I have changed the original timings and order of the method so that a lot of the prep work in advance, before starting to cook.
These quantities are for 2 people, but I have doubled the recipe so many times and still we seem to eat it all in one go. Oops!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 120 g butternut squash, cut into 2″ cubes
- 1 red Romano sweet pepper, cut into 2″ cubes
- 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp ground corriander
- 1 big tomato, chopped
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 300 ml boiling water
- 50 g coconut cream
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 red chilli
- 1 clove of garlic
- 220 g tin pineapple
- 10 g fresh coriander
- Chop the romano sweet peppers into 2″ cubes, making sure you scrape out all the seeds.
- Peel and chop your butternut squash into 2″ cubes. (this recipe calls for only 120g of butternut squash, but I always add more as it taste great and is good to have a little extra… so you can decide how much more to add)
- Chop the tomato and set aside.
- Finely chop the red chilli, but remember to scrape out all the seeds with a teaspoon.
- Roughly chop/ grate the coconut cream.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, then add in the chopped peppers and butternut squash. Cook for 10 mins or until they start to caramelise.
- Boil a kettle of water.
- Mix together the boiled water, vegetable stock cube, tomato paste, and chopped coconut cream.
- Remove the pineapple rings from their tin and chop, keeping the juice to use later.
- Once the chopped pepper and butternut squash are caramelised, add in the ground coriander, allspice and curry powder to the pan and mix in while cooking for about 30 seconds.
- Add in the chopped garlic , tomato and half of the chilli, then cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Mix in the coconut stock and the pineapple juice. Cook for 15 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Chop the coriander finely, and mix together in a separate bowl half of the chopped pineapple, coriander and remainder of the chopped chilli.
- Once the squash is cooked and the sauce is nice and thick, add in the remaining chopped coriander.
This recipe is great with brown rice, but you can use any rice of your choice. I always cheat and use microwave rice, one 250g pack serves perfectly for hubby and I for dinner, and is so easy to make when we are rushed for dinner after the children bedtime routines.