I have tried and tested this a few times and always very successful. I made this over the holidays and I remember when I told my father in law that it was vegan and gluten free… the look on his face… disbelief that it would taste good. He however was caught red handed going back for more again and again 🙂
For the Carrot Cake:
- 250 g Gluten Free Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 250 g Grated Carrot
- 300 g Brown Sugar
- 2 flax eggs (see below how to make flax eggs)
- 120 ml Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
For the Lemon Dairy-Free Frosting:
- 450 g Icing Sugar
- 3 tbsp Vegan Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3-4 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
Baking the cake:
- Preheat the over to 180oC.
- Grease two 7 inch cake tins and line with baking paper.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into a bowl.
- Add the grated carrot and the brown sugar.
- Prepare the flax eggs by mixing 2 tbsp with 6 tbsp water and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, add the oil, vanilla and apple cider vinegar to the mixing bowl.
- Then add the flax eggs and mix everything together (if your batter is too dry add a small quantity of non-dairy milk)
- Divide the mixture between the two 7 inch cake tins and place into the oven for 30 minutes.
- Once finished baking allow the cakes to cool completely on a cooling rack.
Making the frosting:
- 1.Add the icing sugar, vegan butter, vanilla, apple cider vinegar and 3 tbsp of lemon juice to an electric mixer bowl. Ensure you start mixing on low speed to avoid the icing sugar going everywhere.
- 2.If your frosting is too thick then add in more lemon juice a drop at a time as needed to get your frosting mix to the perfect consistency. If your frosting ends up too thin, add more powdered sugar.
- 3.Add frosting to the top of one of the cake layers, then place the other cake on top and complete the frosting of the top (sides are optional… I don’t think it needs it!)
This recipe is an adaption from Loving It Vegan website.