Last week I met hubby for lunch and we went to Zizzi’s and I ordered their Vegan Lentil Ragu option with gluten free pasta. It was amazing and I thought to myself I need to try and recreate this, so I set out to find that perfect recipe.
Luckily it did not take me long to find a recipe. I have always been drawn towards the photos, and if they look good then I am willing to give the recipe a go! These photos did not disappoint, and as I started cooking the smells coming from the pot were unbelievable, I wanted it to finish cooking immediately so I could dig right in 🙂
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 350 g of mushrooms, sliced (button or closed cup mushrooms are great to use)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1/2 green sweet pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (400 g)
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 225 g brown lentils, rinsed
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
* The original recipe called for 1/4 cup of red wine, but I left it out of my recipe, only really because I did not have any on hand to cook and I would not say that it was missed.
- In large non-stick pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, carrot, sweet pepper and onion. Cook until vegetables are very brown and soft, about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Use wooden spoon to scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in bay leaf, crushed tomatoes, water, lentils, oregano, salt and black pepper. Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until the lentils are tender, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water, as needed, if ragu gets too thick. remove bay leaf and stir in basil.
- Served best with your choice of pasta, my choice was gluten free spaghetti pasta. Why not sprinkle some nutritional yeast for some extra B12 in your diet.
OMG you have got to try this, it was amazing, so easy to make and so tasty. I made this for dinner when my mother-in-law was visiting, and I am very happy to say that we all loved it. I will be making a bigger batch next time and freezing some portions!
Hope you enjoy this x
This recipe is an adaption from Foxes Love Lemons website.