I was having a semi relaxing Saturday afternoon when I heard those dreaded words from my son…. “I’m hungry… whats for dinner?”. Oh my word, how was it that time already? I hadn’t even thought about dinner…. what did I have in the house to make? I was in mini panic mode… but with utmost confidence I replied “mummy is just going to cook it now”.
I got into the kitchen and had a quick look…. Ok, I have loads of aubergines… what can I do…. well from the title of this post you guessed it! My son has recently been difficult with food and anything I put in front of him he has an issue with, but I was determined to get as much veg into this meal, and I was very thrilled when he later announced to me “that was my almost favourite meal mum, you can make that again for me!”. Well thank you Charlie, I sure will, but next time lets hope your sister feels the same way.
- 3 aubergines
- 1 courgette, grated
- 150g baby spinach
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 x 400g tins of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 250g gluten free lasagne sheets
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill on a medium to high heat.
- Peal and thinly slice 1 clove of garlic. Make 1 inch slits all over the aubergines and push the sliced garlic into the aubergine. Rub the aubergine in oil and some salt before placing on a foil lined baking tray under the grill.
- Grill the eggplant until the skin on the outside is charred and it is very soft when you touch it.
- Remove from the grill and allow to slightly cool before you slice open the aubergine. Using a spoon scrape out the inner soft layer of the aubergine into a bowl.
- Preheat the over to 200°C (400ºF).
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat, add the remaining 2 cloves of crushed garlic, thyme and aubergine and cook for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the tin of crushed tomatoes, then add the balsamic vinegar. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened and reduced, then add salt and black pepper to taste.
- While the sauce is cooking, put some water on to boil with a pinch of salt and place the lasagna sheets in the boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Drain and then use as you layer the lasagna.
- To set up the lasagna, spread a layer of your aubergine and tomato sauce on the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with a layer of grated courgette, cover with a layer of lasagna sheets, then add the aubergine and tomato sauce followed by a layer of baby spinach. Repeat this until all ingredients have finished, or you’ve reached the top of your baking dish. Make sure you however finish with a layer of sauce.
- Bake at the bottom of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.
You can add any other vegetables into this lasagna, and of course some vegan cheese if you like!