Warning: Parameter 2 to wp_hide_post_Public::query_posts_join() expected to be a reference, value given in /homepages/41/d711839011/htdocs/app711839101/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 287
I have really enjoyed this morning. Got the kids to nursery/ school in the snow, made it back home and then decided what I was making and had a morning of cooking… all in the warmth of my kitchen while it lightly snowed outside.
This morning I felt I wanted something warming so looked at making a bean chilli, but then saw a sweet potato in my veggie box that looked lonely so chopped him up and added him to my recipe… a good choice as the sweetness of the potato helped slightly cut the heat of the chilli. I’ve also wanted to try a vegan gluten free cornbread for some time now, so had the perfect opportunity and found a great recipe to try which did not fail.
Sweet Potato Bean Chilli
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped into approx 1″ cubes
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp spicy paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black papper
- 1/2 tsp onion salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 400 g tin chopped tomatos
- 400 g tin red beans
- 400 g tin chickpeas
- 400 g tin butter beans
- 400 ml boiling water
- Heat the olive oil in a pan, and add the onion, garlic, sweet peppers and sweet potato. Cook for 10 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add in all the spices – chilli powder, spicy paprika, salt, cumin, black pepper, onion salt and cayenne powder. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in all the tinned ingredients – chopped tomatos, red beans, chickpeas and butter beans.
- Add the boiling water to the pan and mix together well.
- Bring to boil, then lower the heat and add a cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the sweet potato is cooked.
Cornbread (vegan and gluten free)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flaxseeds + 6 tbsp warm water)
- 180 g gluten free flour
- 170 g course cornmeal
- 50 g sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 250 ml oat milk (or any other non-dairy milk)
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- Preheat over to 220oC
- Grease a bread tin with some coconut oil, and line with grease proof paper (my bread tin was 5 x 9″).
- Mix the flax eggs by adding the ground flaxseeds with water and set aside for a few minutes.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients – gluten free flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add in the flax eggs with oat milk and vegetable oil.
- Blend together until smooth.
- Pour into the bread tin, and bake in the over for 25-30 minutes or until you can put a toothpick in and it comes out clean.
- Take the cornbread out of the bread tin when baked, and let it cool on a wire rack.
The cornbread taste great when eaten warm with some non-dairy butter.
This recipe is an adaption from the Genius Kitchen website.